Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Miss Kang's 4th Blog : Science Focus at Washington Elementary School


For my clinical experience, I have been lucky enough to work with Mrs. Wolf on her social studies lessons. Lindsay’s Cooperating Teacher, Ms. Weddington, teaches the same students the science portion of their lessons. Since Mrs. Wolf exclusively teaches the social studies aspect, I have never witnessed Ms. Weddington’s science lessons. However, I will be teaching a science lesson in Mrs. Wolf’s classroom on April 9th. Therefore, I have unfortunately not had the experience of seeing a science lesson for this age group in person, and I do not know the exact methods that Ms. Weddington uses. However, Lindsay has blog posts which outline her experiences in a clinical science classroom :  http://gladlyweteachandlearnisu.blogspot.com/ 

I do know that Ms. Weddington has been working on types of soil and the rock cycle in her classroom, so I will be planning to teach about that same topic. My idea for a lesson plan is to show the students a couple of videos on the rock cycle and have them fill out a worksheet based on the concepts that they have been reviewing. I know that this is not a very hands-on lesson, but I decided to use it since the other lesson I prepared will not be ready for the students. (Originally, I was planning to do an interactive lesson with baby chicks, but Ms. Weddington informed me that they will not be starting that unit until the week after I teach.)

One thing that I’ve already found difficult about science lessons is trying to make them as interactive as social studies lessons. Since I have a lot more experience working with social studies, it is easier for me to come up with activities that involve maps, people, and places. With science, a lot of the concepts are not as easy to show simply using pictures or stories. Many of the components happen without being seen, such as with the rock cycle. We obviously do not have enough time to watch rocks change over time, as that can take hundreds of years. However, the science book comes with lots of ideas for hands-on activities for the students so that they can get a glimpse of the concept in real life. I am sure that the authors of the book were very aware that science can be a difficult topic for younger children, so they provided lots of pictures and boiled down the lessons into interactive activities and real world applications.

I know from what students say in Mrs. Wolf’s classroom that science is not always a favorite subject for kids, since it’s not as easy to comprehend as something like the Civil War. In my future classroom, I am going to make a concerted effort to make science lessons as fun and hands-on as possible. Science often ranks lower on students’ favorite subjects due to its content, and because a lot of teachers make their lessons lecture-style. After my lesson on the 9th, I hope to grasp a better understanding of what goes on in a science classroom and the techniques that Ms. Weddington uses to keep her students engaged.


This is the Wedsite that Ms . weddington use for her science lesson.
                   -www.pearsonsuccessnet.com 
             These are the rink that I am going to use for my Rock cycle science lesson.
                        1.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAAeFB7Tv5A
                        3.http://www.santeesd.net/Page/5827

1 comment:

  1. Yeseul,

    Thanks for all of the detail you provide here! You give us a full picture of the structure of content instruction at your site, and you support it with your own plans. I especially loved the shout-out to Lindsay's blog--this is always nice when we can support other bloggers. You write that learning about science may be more difficult than learning about the Civil War, but I am not sure if I agree with that statement! I think some people would find history more challenging than learning science concepts! This is of course based on interests and learning strengths we have and the form of delivery and instruction of the content. Hmm….

    :)Kira

    ReplyDelete